Posted by an acquaintance on Facebook:
- Macron, the newly elected French president, has no children.
- German chancellor Angel Merkel has no children.
- British Prime Minister Theresa May has no children.
- Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni has no children.
- Holland’s Mark Rutte, Sweden’s Stefan Löfven, Luxemburg’s Xavier Bettel, Scotland’s Nicola Sturgeon—all have no children.
- Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, has no children.
So a grossly disproportionate number of the people making decisions about Europe’s future have no direct personal stake in that future.
Suddenly, a lot of things seem to make more sense, now… in a sadly warped and twisted sort of way. I don’t know about the rest of you, but to me it’s downright scary, presented in such stark terms. No wonder they’re acting like such idiots. They simply, literally, Do. Not. Care. Because they will not have children to reap the bitter harvest from the rotten seeds they are sowing.
Every previous generation had to think about future generations. These individuals do not, because for them, there will be no future generations.
And it also points up the sad fact that the European birth-rate is in the tank. It’s a bit of a catch-22: people are less likely to have children if they don’t believe in their own future… and it’s hard to believe that there will even be a European future, unless that birth-rate gets back up there to at least replacement level – and at this point, restoration level!
Meanwhile, some of us – myself included – would love to have children, but sadly have not found a partner to share that dream…